Attilio has been an ILLI Member since 2022. His project D Residence was completed in Fall 2022. Here are some questions he answered for us about his project:
Q: What were the challenges you faced in this project?
A: I had to figure out how I will introduce elements of design, creating cohesion, combining scenes yet maintaining a naturalistic appearance. My personal challenge for all of my projects is to create an emotional response from all viewing areas for my clients.
Other challenges for my projects are:
1. Sharing my vision to the customer.
2. Making sure the visual distances are balanced with regards to the overall size of the property.
3. Creating unity and balance between the different lighting scenes with the surrounding landscape as well as taking into account the architecture of their home.
4. Informing the client that any fixture elimination on their end would sacrifice my overall design. I would explain to them that my fixture count for each lighting scene is what is needed to enhance the overall beauty.
5. Living in the northeast means my design thought process needs the appropriate lighting techniques to highlight the branch structures for deciduous trees/plants during the winter months. This also allows me to balance deciduous trees and evergreens for the winter months as well.
Q: What are some of the solutions you implemented?
A: The client believed in me and trusted my design to meet their expectations. Once I had a clear idea of what my clients expected regarding the overall atmosphere, I was then able to create cohesion from one element to another with the understanding of leaf density, light distribution, maturity and height of each specimen tree and shrub.
Q: What is the best feature of the finished project?
A: The pool area, because it is a combination of highlighting the stone wall, grasses
and deciduous plants while introducing some moonlighting as well. My overall focus on this lighting scene was to make a new statement when these
plants were highlighted in the evening. I wanted to create an emotional
response when viewing from the pool patio.